What documents are needed to register a child? How to register a newborn in an apartment

According to the laws of the Russian Federation, if a child is under 14 years old, he is automatically registered with one of the parents. If the apartment is owned by other people, then the procedure is carried out in any case, but in order to carry it out it is necessary to fulfill some requirements and collect a package of documents.

Dear readers! Our articles talk about typical ways to resolve legal issues, but each case is unique. If you want to find out how to solve your particular problem, please use the online consultant form on the right or call. It's fast and free!

Where and with whom can I register my child?

A child under 14 years of age can only be registered:

  • With parents or one of the parents. If the parents live together, then the question of registering the child is clear; when they live separately (for example, in a divorce), it all depends on the mutual agreement of the parents.
  • With a guardian, adoptive parent.
  • Registration of children under 14 years of age with other close relatives, and even more so with strangers, is practically impossible.

When a child is registered in a privatized or municipal apartment, there is no need to interfere with:

  • accounting standard for living space. It does not limit the child’s right to registration;
  • lack of consent of the owner of the property, as well as the persons registered in it. Such consent is simply not required;

As a result, the rights of a child registered in an apartment have the same force as other residents of this apartment.

Is it possible to register in another city through the MFC?

This program showed good results, and now there are MFCs in small towns. Options for the procedure There are several ways to register for registration at an address.


  • Registration using the State Services website.
  • Personal visit to the passport office at the housing office, or MFC.

Some citizens apply by personally visiting various government agencies. The same thing happens with registration!

Only recently have Lyuli begun to increasingly turn to multifunctional centers. Before this, we ran around to various government agencies and collected documents.

Now this can be done easier - through the MFC! Before contacting the “single window service”, you must prepare the necessary documents in advance. You need to come to the MFC with all documents, even an application.

Contents: Registration and discharge through the MFC Important Contents

  1. 5 Timing and results
  2. 3 Required documents
  3. 2 Procedure for registration and deregistration
  4. 4 Features
  5. 1 General information

The procedure for checking out or registering for an apartment is not as complicated as it might seem at first glance to those who are faced with such a need for the first time.

It is the same for all citizens. And although both of these actions are closely related to each other, each of them still has its own nuances and characteristics depending on the status of the registered person in relation to the living space. You can register or check out of an apartment through multifunctional centers (MFC).

Let us consider in detail what the procedure for discharge and registration includes, what the algorithm of actions is, the list of necessary documents, deadlines and main features. Registration registration through the MFC Moreover, the choice of the most convenient for oneself belongs to the citizen.

The state does not interfere in this process, just like in the choice of place of residence. Info Today you can obtain registration by contacting:

  1. to the passport office of the housing department;
  2. to the territorial department of the FMS;
  3. to the Multifunctional Center (MFC);

Documents required for registration

What documents are needed to register a child? There are several standard situations, based on which the composition of documents for registration is formed:

  • parents are married and live at the same address;
  • they are married, but registered in different places. The child is registered with his mother or father;
  • Mom and dad are divorced and registered separately. The baby is registered with either the mother or the father.

Regarding the registration of a newborn under the age of 1 month. Then a simplified procedure for registering a child without the consent of the father is applied. Only:

  • mother's application for child registration;
  • birth certificate;
  • mother's passport.
Title of the documentParents are married, at the same addressTo mother (father) in marriage, at different addressesTo a mother who is unmarried and lives separately from her fatherTo an unmarried father living separately from his mother
Application for registration at the child’s place of residence (form No. 6)++++
Child's birth certificate++++
Parents' passports++++
Marriage certificate++NoNo
Extract from the house register (this document has been cancelled)
Certificate of personal account (for municipal housing) (this information is available at the MFC)
Father's (mother's) consent to registrationNo+++
Divorce certificate or paternity certificateNoNo++
A certificate from the place of registration of the mother (father) stating that the child is not registered with her (him). (This data is available at the MFC) NoNoNoNo
  • The registration procedure is free. There are no duties or mandatory payments.
  • Upon delivery of documents, a receipt is issued confirming the delivery of documents to the specialist.

Application form for registration at the child’s place of residence (form No. 6)

It is filled out by an MFC specialist when submitting documents for registration. Such a statement is signed by either the mother or the father, depending on who the child is registering with. First you need to check whether the MFC employee has indicated everything correctly.

Passports and certificates

All documents are submitted in originals and copies.

  • Birth certificate;
  • Parents' passports;
  • Marriage or divorce certificate;
  • Certificate of paternity.

Extract from the house register

An extract from the house register is obtained at the place of residence of the mother or father where the child will be registered. It contains information about who is registered at this address. Previously, anyone registered or the owner of housing in the housing department or MFC can receive an extract. This extract was required when it was necessary to register a child in a private home.

Now the house register and the extract from it have been canceled!!! An MFC employee will not request such documents. Therefore, there is no need to look for them and order them in advance.

Certificate of personal account

A personal account certificate (the so-called FLS) contains information about payments for utilities and house management, as well as information about the characteristics of housing. Such a certificate can be requested from the ERIC or from the accounting department of the housing department.

The new rules do not provide for such a document and it is rarely required for old times’ sake. Therefore, if you do not submit it, registration will not be denied.

Certificate from the place of registration

A certificate from the place of registration is taken from the place of residence of the father (mother), where the child is not going to be registered, in order to confirm the fact that he is not registered at this address. But now this document is also outdated, since all data in the MFC is in electronic form. Specialists simply see the picture with their own eyes and do not require the applicant to do so.

Consent of one of the parents

  • If a child is registered in an apartment with parents living together, then no consent is required. That is, the father can handle the paperwork and register the child without the mother’s consent, and vice versa.
  • When parents are registered separately, the mother's consent will be required to register the child with the father and vice versa. It is drawn up in any written form in the presence of an MFC specialist. In some institutions, unified consent forms may be developed, with samples of completion on display.
  • If one of the parents giving consent cannot be present when submitting documents, the applicant (other parent) may submit a pre-prepared notarized consent.
  • If the other parent is against it, then registration will be based on a court decision that determines with whom the child will live.

Need to know! When submitting documents, a number of documents (for example, an extract from a home book, a certificate from the place of registration, a personal registration certificate) may not be required by a specialist, since such information is available in the database.

Instructions for registering and discharging minor children from an apartment

  1. If the child was not the owner of the sold home , then it is enough to indicate in the application for discharge the expected address where the family will stay for the first time (with friends, in a boarding house, etc.). There is no need to worry about checks from social security if the family is prosperous and not registered.
  2. In the case where the child’s property was sold , already at the stage of agreeing on the transaction with guardianship, the parents sign an obligation to purchase new housing, register the child in it and allocate a share to him within three months. This document must be attached to the application for discharge.

To submit an application electronically, you need to fill out the form on the website and upload scans of all the necessary documents. After 3 working days, you will receive an invitation by email to appear at the Federal Migration Service with original documents for verification and making a final decision on the discharge.

Where can I go to register my child?

The answer to this question is unequivocal in any branch of the MFC in the corresponding locality. It is possible in another city/settlement. Then it will be an extraterritorial appeal. The procedure will take longer.


  • if the child is discharged from the previous address - 7 days from the date of discharge;
  • if a newborn is registered for the first time - 7 days from the date of receipt of the birth certificate, but no later than one month from the date of birth (otherwise the procedure for submitting documents will not be simplified).

In the second case, the legislator does not set clear deadlines; they are taken from established practice. Therefore, there is no liability for their violation. Just as there is no provision for liability in the first case, since a child cannot be brought to administrative responsibility until he turns 16 years old.

Who must be present when submitting documents?

For each situation, the appearance of persons to submit documents may be different:

  • If the parents are married and live together, the presence of one of the parents is sufficient. Only he must grab the second’s passport.
  • Married but living separately. Both come to complete the paperwork;
  • When divorced, regardless of whether they live together or not. Attendance is mandatory for both;
  • If the parent giving consent to register the child with the other parent cannot come to submit documents. Its absence can be compensated for by a notarized consent to register the child;
  • At the initial registration of a newborn, the mother submits documents. If she cannot attend, she comes instead. He will be able to register the child with the mother .

In all of the above cases, the presence of:

  • the child being registered;
  • owner;
  • tenant;
  • other residents.


Question: Can the owner or main tenant be an applicant to register a child who is not his own in his own apartment (for example, grandmother, aunt, uncle, etc.)?

No, you cannot, even if the child’s parents live in this apartment. Only the mother or father can be an applicant for registration. This is one of the significant differences between registering a child and an adult.

Question: Can the owner or main tenant register someone else’s child in his own apartment?

Maybe if the mother or father is registered in this apartment, but only the child’s parents can act as an applicant for registration.

Question: If the parents moved to a new address without registering the child from the old one, is it necessary to register the child at the new place of registration of the parents?

Yes, definitely within 7 days

Important nuances

The maximum period during which a newborn baby must be registered in an apartment is not specified anywhere in the legislation, which means, it would seem, there is no need to be afraid of fines and other sanctions. However, there is also a rule that when moving to a new place of residence, registration must be obtained within a week; in fact, the child is no exception in this case and the parents may have to pay a fine. Well, of course, without registration you cannot receive either benefits or benefits associated with adding to the family.

Parents who do not live together choose with whom the infant will be registered.

However, it cannot be registered with other relatives, including grandparents. In order to register a child with them, parents will have to formalize a refusal, and relatives, accordingly, will have to formalize guardianship; only in this way can the issue of registration of the child be resolved where circumstances require it.

About the importance of registering a child

The importance of registering a child should not be underestimated. Without registering a child at the place of residence, it is impossible to solve even the simplest tasks in raising a child: enrolling in a kindergarten, registering at a clinic, receiving benefits and subsidies for a child, etc.

Before registering a child with a father or mother, you need to weigh the pros and cons. It is advisable to find out the distance of kindergartens, schools, hospitals, etc. from the intended registration address, as well as what manipulations with housing will be carried out in the future. For example, if the apartment is municipal, then privatization of an apartment with a minor registered in it is a more complex procedure.

Links to legislative acts

  1. Clause 2, Article 20 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation. Citizen's place of residence
  2. Article 70 of the RF Housing Code. The right of the tenant to move other citizens into the residential premises he occupies under a social tenancy agreement as members of his family
  3. Paragraphs 28, 29 of the Decree of the Government of the Russian Federation of July 17, 1995 No. 713 “On approval of the Rules for registration and deregistration of citizens of the Russian Federation at the place of stay and place of residence within the Russian Federation”
  4. Clauses 44, 50 of the Administrative Regulations of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation for the provision of state services for registration of citizens of the Russian Federation at the place of stay and place of residence within the Russian Federation,” approved by Order of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Russian Federation No. 984 of December 31, 2017.
( 1 rating, average 4 out of 5 )
Did you like the article? Share with friends:
For any suggestions regarding the site: [email protected]
Для любых предложений по сайту: [email protected]